Compliance with Environmental Requirements by Small and Medium-Sized Businesses in The context of a Critical State of the Donbass Environment
Doctor of Economic Sciences? Professor
Institute of Industrial Economics of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
Phd in Economic Sciences
Institute of Industrial Economics of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
Liashenko V.I., Tolmachova G.F. Compliance with Environmental Requirements by Small and Medium-Sized Businesses in The context of a Critical State of the Donbass Environment. Management of Economy: Theory and Practice. Chumachenko’s Annals: collection of scientific papers / Institute of Industrial Economics of the NAS of Ukraine. Kyiv, 2021. P. 117-147. DOI: https://doi.org/10.37405/2221-1187.2021.117-147
Building a new modern competitive economy in eastern Ukraine and creating an additional impetus for the development of Donetsk and Luhansk regions is an integral prerequisite for the restoration of the country’s territorial integrity. To this end, the Government of Ukraine is planning to introduce an experiment on the formation of territories of priority development in Donetsk and Luhansk regions. Given the key role of production in generating demand for innovation, the emphasis on the production sphere will be crucial in the restoration of the economy of the region. For this purpose, a pool of industrial, construction, logistics, transport, engineering, financial proposals that can generate a comprehensive solution for the restoration and modernization of the region will be formed.
Ensuring compliance with environmental requirements by small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) is a serious problem for environmental bodies around the world, not least because this category of enterprises is characterized by features that make it difficult to apply traditional methods of compliance with the requirements. In Ukraine, the SME sector is at the stage of formation, but we can expect that the number of such entities and, as a consequence, their environmental impact will increase, in particular, as a result of the implementation of politicians and strategies aimed at supporting this sector. Although such strategies contain many positive elements, they usually do not pay due attention to environmental issues; On the contrary, some measures lead to such undesirable side effects as restrictions or even a prohibition on environmental inspections. Against this background, environmental bodies are faced with the need to improve existing ones and the introduction of new tools that would help to comply with environmental requirements.
small business, ecology, environment, program, enterprise, economy, region.
- Poiasniuvalna zapyska do proektu Zakonu Ukrainy «Pro derzhavnyi ekolohichnyi kontrol» [Explanatory note to the draft Law of Ukraine “On State Environmental Control”]. Retrieved from http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=68186 [in Ukrainian].
- Zvit pro stratehichnu ekolohichnu otsinku. Dodatok do Stratehii rozvytku Donetskoi oblasti na period do 2027 roku [A report is on a strategic ecological estimation. Appendix to Strategy of development of the Donetsk area on a period 2027 to]. Retrieved from https://dn.gov.ua/ua [in Ukrainian].
- Pro Osnovni zasady (stratehiiu) derzhavnoi ekolohichnoi polityky Ukrainy na period do 2030 roku: Zakon Ukrainy vid 28 liutoho 2019 r. № 2697-VIII [On Basic principles (strategy) of public ecological policy of Ukraine on a period 2030 to: Law of Ukraine from February, 28 in 2019 № 2697-VIII]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2697-19#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Ivanov, S. V., Liashenko, V. I., Kharazishvili, Yu. M., Kucherov, A. V., Korytko, T. Yu. (2019). Lokalizatsiia ta likvidatsiia naslidkiv katastrofy dovkillia na Donbasi [Localization and elimination of the consequences of the environmental catastrophe in the Donbass]. Ekonomichnyi visnyk Donbasu – Economic Herald of the Donbas, 3 (57), pp. 217-240. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12958/1817-3772-2019-3(57)-217-240 [in Ukrainian].
- Zvit pro stratehichnu ekolohichnu otsinku. Dodatok do Rehionalnoi prohramy rozvytku maloho i serednoho pidpryiemnytstva v Donetskii oblasti na 2021-2022 roky» [A report is on a strategic ecological estimation. Appendix to the Regional program of development of small and middle enterprise in the Donetsk area on 2021-2022]. Retrieved from https://dn.gov.ua/storage/app/sites/1/uploaded [in Ukrainian].
- Zvit pro stratehichnu ekolohichnu otsinku do vnesennia zmin do Prohramy ekonomichnoho i sotsialnoho rozvytku Donetskoi oblasti na 2020 rik [Report on the strategic environmental assessment before making changes to the Economic and Social Development Program of the Donetsk Region for 2020]. Retrieved from https://dn.gov.ua/ua [in Ukrainian].
- Sait Holovnoho upravlinnia statystyky u Donetskii oblasti [Site of Main administration of statistics is in the Donetsk area]. Retrieved from http://donetskstat.gov.ua/statinform1/activity_pidpr.php [in Ukrainian].
- Proiekt rehionalnoi prohramy rozvytku maloho i serednoho pidpryiemnytstva na 2021-2022 rr. [Project of the regional program for the development of small and medium-sized enterprises for 2021-2022]. Retrieved from https://dn.gov.ua/ua [in Ukrainian].
- Commission of the European Communities. (2000). Report on SMEs and the Environment. Produced by Ecotec Research and Consulting.
- Austrian Institute for Small Business Research. (1999). Economic Performance Database.
- Environmental Management Tools for SMEs: A Handbook. (1996). Centre for Corporate Environmental Management (CCEM).
- Ekologizatsiya malykh i srednikh predpriyatiy: posobiye po instrumentam prirodookhrannoy politiki dlya stran Vostochnogo partnerstva ES [Greening small and medium-sized enterprises: a manual on environmental policy instruments for the EU’s Eastern Partnership countries]. (2015). Retrieved from www.green-economies-eap.org › resources › EaPGREE.by Ecotec Research and Consulting [in Russian].
- Commission of the European Communities. (2002). European SMEs and social and environmental responsibility, Observatory of European SMEs. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/enterprise_policy/analysis/doc/smes_observatory_2002_report4_en.pdf
- UNIDO, Introducing Environmental Management Accounting at Enterprise Level, Methodology and Case Studies from Central and Eastern Europe.
- Global Reporting Initiative. (2006). Sustainability reporting Guidelines. Retrieved from http://www.globalreporting.org/Home/BottomBlock3/Block3.htm
- Business Environment in Georgia, as Seen by Small and Medium Enterprises. (1997). KPMG Environmental Consulting.
Full Text .pdf