Transformation of Value and Motivation Portrait and Model of Economic Behavior of Generation Z and Risks for Socio-Economic Systems
Doctor of Economic Sciences, professor.
Kharkiv Humanitarian University “People’s Ukrainian Academy”
Kompaniets V.V. Transformation of Value and Motivation Portrait and Model of Economic Behavior of Generation Z and Risks for Socio-Economic Systems. Management of Economy: Theory and Practice. Chumachenko’s Annals: collection of scientific papers / Institute of Industrial Economics of the NAS of Ukraine. Kyiv, 2020. P. 152-169. DOI: https://doi.org/10.37405/2221-1187.2020.152-169
The state and development of socio-economic systems of different levels is influenced by the value-motivational portrait of the population. It is formed under the influence of various factors. External factors (culture, education, politics, etc.) form the special features of different generations, influencing the specifics of their behavioral models. Now a generational change is taking place in society once again. The largest group in the world is the so-called “digital generation”, which differs in many ways from previous generations. The publication highlights and systematizes the main characteristics of the new generation (value, socio-behavioral, cognitive). Also, differences were revealed in their value attitude towards violation of the norms of law and morality in the economy, and their attitude towards work (according to the criteria of social responsibility and balance between work and personal time) in comparison with older generations. Based on this, assumptions were made about what models of behavior in the socio-economic space can be expected from representatives of the digital generation. And also, what risks and threats to socio-economic systems of different levels may arise in connection with this. It was found that the younger generation is more prone to violating the norms of morality and law in socio-economic relations, less motivated in work towards social responsibility, service, and is focused on material gain, respect for their own interests and comfort. The change in the portrait of the new generation is not a random phenomenon, but a function of the degradation of culture, upbringing, education. It is also influenced by the increasing lifetime in the digital space. The models of economic behavior of the new generation will be very different from the previously existing ones, which can bring significant risks to the socio-economic development of national states, individual industries and enterprises. Systemic changes are necessary: in the state national doctrine; in the social and economic policy of the state; in the models and system of education, with the aim of forming and developing each person as a person and a professional.
value-motivational portrait, digital generation, behavior patterns, socio-economic systems, risks, attitude, towards violation of moral and legal norms in the economy, Orthodox civilization, Western civilization.
- Howe, N., Strauss, W. (1992). Generations: The History of America’s Future, 1584 to 2069. Publisher: Quill; Reprint edition.
- Spitznagel, E. Generation Z is bigger than millennials – and they’re out to change the world. New York Post. Retrieved from https://nypost.com/2020/01/25/generation-z-is-bigger-than-millennials-and-theyre-out-to-change-the-world/.
- Ernst & Young LLP. Rise of Gen Z: New Challenge for Retailers. Retrieved from https://assets.ey.com/content/dam/ey-sites/ey-com/en_ gl/topics/digital/ey-rise-of-gen-z-new-challenge-for-retailers.pdf.
- Deloitte. Welcome to Generation Z. Retrieved from https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/consumer-business/welcome-to-gen-z.pdf.
- Kompaniets, V., Polevaya, V., Poliakova, E. Shramenko, E. (2019). Readiness of workers for a new economy in condition of systemic changes (man – technologies – economy). SHS Web Conf. Vol. 67. International Transport Infrastructure, Industrial Centers and Corporate Logistics: Proceedings of the Fifteenth Scientific and Practical International Conference. doi: https://doi.org/10.1051/shsconf/20196706028.
- 30 faktov o sovremennoy molodezhi: issledovanie Sberbanka i Validata [30 facts about today’s youth: a study by Sberbank and Validata]. (2017). Retrieved from https://youngspace.ru/faq/sberbank-issledovanie-molodezhi/ [in Russian].
- World Values Survey. Retrieved from https://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/WVSOnline.jsp.
- Ukrainske pokolinnia Z: tsinnosti ta oriientyry. Rezultaty zahalnonatsionalnoho opytuvannia [Ukrainian Generation Z: values and guidelines. Results of a nationwide survey]. (2017). Retrieved from http://neweurope.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Ukr_Generation_ukr_inet-1.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Kompaniyets, V.V., Polevaya, V.V. (2019). O riskakh dlya sotsial’no-ekonomicheskikh sistem v svyazi s izmeneniyem tsennostno-motivatsionnogo portreta novogo pokoleniya rabot-nikov. Finansy, ekonomika, strategiya [About the risks for socio-economic systems in connection with a change in the value-motivational portrait of a new generation of workers]. Finansyi, ekonomika, strategiya – Finance, economics, strategy, Vol. 16, Nо. 3, pp. 12-16 [in Russian].
- Bashina, O.E., Vasyutina, E.S., Matraeva, L.V. (2018). Transformatsiya ekonomicheskoy i trudovoy modeli povedeniya sovremennoy molodezhi v usloviyah stanovleniya tsifrovogo obschestva [Transformation of the economic and labor model of behavior of modern youth in the conditions of the formation of a digital society]. Retrieved from https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/transformatsiya-ekonomicheskoy-i-trudovoy-modeli-povedeniya-sovremennoy-molodezhi-v-usloviyah-stanovleniya-tsifrovogo-obschestva [in Russian].
- Kompaniiets, V.V., Kratser, V.V. (2020). Stavlennia do pratsi predstavnykiv riznykh pokolin i ryzyky robotodavtsiv u zviazku zi zminoiu tsinnostei (za rezultatamy opytuvan World Value Survey) [Attitudes of different generations towards work and employers’ risks due to changes in values (according to the World Value Survey)]. Aktualni pytannia orhanizatsii ta upravlinnia diialnistiu pidpryiemstv u suchasnykh umovakh hospodariuvannia – Current issues of organization and management of enterprises in modern business conditions: Abstracts of reports on the materials of the Interuniversity Scientific and Practical Conference (рр. 55-57). Kharkiv [in Ukrainian].
- Dyuik, K., Uord, E., Gnizi, E., Bos, M. Vrednyiy zov: kak dazhe vyiklyuchennyiy smartfon meshaet vashemu mozgu [Harmful call: how even a switched off smartphone interferes with your brain]. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://hbr-russia.ru/innovatsii/issledovaniya/p26501/ [in Russian].
- Kurpatov, A. (2019). Chetvertaya mirovaya voyna. Buduschee uzhe ryadom [The fourth world war. The future is near]. Retrieved from https://www.livelib.ru/book/1002142858/quotes-chetvertaya-mirovaya-vojna-buduschee-uzhe-ryadom-andrej-kurpatov [in Russian].
- Carr, N. How Smartphones Hijack Our Minds. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/how-smartphones-hijack-our-minds-1507307811.
- Yasyukova, L.A. Izmeneniye struktury intellekta podrostkov s 1990 po 2020 gody [Change in the structure of the intelligence of adolescents from 1990 to 2020]. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://osvitanova.com.ua/posts/4345-yzmenenye-struktury- yntellekta-podrostkov-s-1990-po-2020-hody [in Russian].
- Yasyukova, L.A. Razryv mezhdu umnymi i glupymi narastayet [The gap between smart and stupid is growing]. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.rosbalt.ru/main/2013/12/04/1207437.html [in Russian].
- Yasyukova, L.A. V bystro menyayushchemsya mire nuzhno ponyatiynoye myshleniye [A rapidly changing world requires conceptual thinking]. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://psy.su/feed/8101/ [in Russian].
Full Text .pdf